Benefits of Deconstruction
From a kitchen or bath extraction to a whole house project, the advantages of deconstruction are astounding! Upon deconstruction, you'll realize many ways you've benefited your family, the community, the natural environment, and even your bottom line.
The overall value of deconstruction can be usefully viewed through three layers of advantages – social, environmental and financial. One exemplary metric from each category is displayed in the column to your left. As you consider these benefits of deconstruction, notice how intertwined they—and our entire world—really are!
Social Benefits – Helping People
- Deconstruction generates jobs! Because deconstruction takes more time and skill, there's a 5 to 1 ratio of workers in deconstruction verses demolition.
- Creates careers. Because deconstruction demands more work, skilled workers can command more wages. These "green collar jobs" are here to stay in the new Green Economy.
- Allows people to reuse ample low-cost, sturdy building materials that would otherwise be dumped or destroyed.
- Provides for the rich architectural preservation of a given region, style or period of history.
- Outfits schools, nonprofits, religious groups, social programs, artists,
restauranteers and theater groups with unique or economical materials
- Allows families, businesses and communities to acquire more materials
more cheaply, resulting in cleaner, nicer and safer neighborhoods.
- Produces abundant materials for vocational training in many industry trades.
Environmental Benefits – Helping Our Planet
- Deconstruction reduces climate-altering greenhouse gas emissions from landfills and incinerators, which is rising as the demolition of buildings in the U.S. now produces more than 124,670,000 tons of debris each year. In one year that's enough to build a wall about 30 feet high and 30 feet thick around the entire coast of the continental U.S.
- Reduces the need for more toxic landfills, which are on the rise as construction and demolition debris needlessly comprises over half of our nation's solid waste!
- Reduces harmful effects of natural resource extraction, transportation, and energy consumption for new building materials.
- Recycles perfectly useable material for reuse and creative repurposing.
- Keeps material local, reducing additional adverse harvesting, mining and transportation effects.
- Astounds us with its conservation! Click this "Benefit Calculator" to determine the benefits of deconstructing rather than demolishing your home or structure. For instance, the deconstruction of a typical 2,000 sq. foot wood frame home can yield 6,000 board feet of reusable lumber, which is equivalent to 33 mature trees or the yearly output of 10 acres of planted pine (7 football fields). If demolished, that same home would produce about 10,000 cubic feet of debris.
Financial Benefits – Helping Your Pocketbook
- Deconstruction generates generous tax savings from home or material donation. That translates into cash in your pocket!
- Offers a cost savings to individuals, government, business and urban developers, as deconstruction reclaims materials for economical resale and reuse.
- Reduces dumping and demolition time and fees for donors.
- Provides lower cost goods. During renovations, homeowners often have to throw out perfectly good things, like gently-used cabinets, hardwood flooring, fixtures and appliances.
- Supports organizations who build or repair homes for the elderly or disadvantaged.
- Provides a forum for manufacturers and contractors to "dispose" of their excess inventory in a sustainable and responsible manner.
- Reduces the fiscal burden on local governments (and thus local taxpayers) due to the reduced energy and landfill/incinerator burden. By providing paid training and living wage employment to numerous ex-offenders, Second Chance reduces lost tax revenue and recidivism costs by over $1.5 million annually.
Interested in being part of such an advantageous enterprise? Please contact our deconstruction manager for details on how Second Chance can partner with you to complete your extraction or deconstruction and create a win-win-win for everyone!