Second Chance has always taken its mission of environmental sustainability very seriously. From our internal practices to the services we provide, it’s a core part of who we are. We like to think that “every day is Earth Day when you support Second Chance!” But how exactly do you do that? Consider these timely options:
We know many people are using this “shut down” as an opportunity to clean out and organize their home. If you would like to donate your gently used items (tax receipts provided) but can’t or don’t want to come to the store to drop them off 9 to 5 Thursday thru Sunday, you can request a pickup up by calling us or using this form. We are requiring that our workers can maintain social distance during this time of the coronavirus, which means we will pick up curbside or in a garage, but we aren’t entering donors’ homes at this time. Thanks for understanding.
If you are considering tearing down a home for a rebuild in the upcoming months, our deconstruction experts are standing by to help you understand the process we have streamlined through the years. When you donate the house/building for our training purposes, you support our workforce development programs for those with employment obstacles and enjoy potentially substantial tax savings. Call 410-385-1700 or use this form to start a no-pressure conversation.
DECIDE TO ACT!
Looking for some simple ways to celebrate Earth Day during the stay-at-home order? Check out these suggestions from the Chesapeake Bay Trust, and feel free to comment with your own:
1. Take a walk in your neighborhood or local park and pick up trash.
2. Pick up pet waste! Timely removal keeps waste from washing into waterways and spreading bacteria and parasites.
3. Go zero-waste for one day. Reduce, reuse, and recycle – don’t use a lot when a little will do.
4. Switch to online billing and go paperless for your household budget. Saves trees and energy!
5. Make a personal plastic audit. Check items around your house to fully understand how prevalent plastic is in your life and investigate ways to make simple swaps.
6. Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDS. Reduce your carbon footprint by 450 pounds a year!
7. Check your tires! Proper and consistent tire pressure can save $$ and contribute less carbon to the environment.
8. Switch out single-use plastic bags for re-usable shopping totes.